Thursday, July 2, 2020

Book Reviews (1)

Golden Child by Claire Adam
I absolutely loved this book. It broke my heart. This novel is about twins, one bright, the other autistic (but no one in the novel knows this, they describe him as slightly retarded). It's set in Trinidad and I loved the bits of Indian-ness that come up as a result. This novel follows a family, relatives and so on, and builds up to a scary-difficult choice. Its rare to see money so openly in a story, I mean, the story hinges on money in a way that I haven't ever read in fiction, and its so real, the whole money issue. I can't recommend this book enough.

In a word: powerful


City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
Really good, entertaining read. This novel isn't written like high art but I couldn't stop reading it. The frame is interesting, although sort of not that convincing because who would write such a long and detailed personal letter? But the story is great. This book is about a girl's life; she moves from a small town to New York and she's good at sewing. The story mainly concerns women and their lives so the title seems appropriate, and the book tries to be feminist so that's something.

In a word: fun


Foreign Affairs by Alison Lurie
I didn't like this book. Too much nonsense. It's all How does he/she think of me. Its all How do I want to portray myself. How am I defined, by county, by interests. Its so full of shit. The whole American-London thing is meh. I started it twice and left it because honestly, I couldn't give a damn. Given the title, I was expecting something a lot more exotic. This book is about two couples, American/London mixes and their stupid moaning and whining.

In a word: whiny


As Long As We Both Shall Live by JoAnn Chaney
Totally gripping. I couldn't stop reading this book, literally. It's a crime fiction novel about a couple. It starts off with Husbands, you can't get away with murdering your wife. heheh. And then it turns out the wife is insane, and she's in control, and they're both evil so you don't feel bad for anyone. Its crazy how this story unfolds and the good guy changes half-way. It has a nice feminist finishing with a line about gender and what we expect. I loved it. What a thrill, for a book with such a long and clunky title. To think that I could relate to characters that were crazy murderers...

In a word: thrilling


American Spy by Lauren Wilkinson
This was a really good book, and one of the good things about it was that it was interesting without being ridiculously addictive. It is about an FBI agent, sexism within the force, and a mission she goes on where she falls in love with the President of Burkina Faso, who she's supposed to kill. It's a bit about politics too. Brilliantly writen, it's framed as a letter to her kids in case she dies in pursuit of someone trying to kill her.

I love entering this agents mind, its so direct, like a cop, and a woman! Her life is about her finding her identity as an American even though she's black, from Trinidad, and works in the FBI which is full of sexism and racism. Super interesting. Sad that this stigma against female officers, especially officers of colour actually exists.

In a word: spy


The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields (1993)
This book is old but gold. It is very well-written. I only skipped some of it, while reading. It's long. The characters are very well portrayed, I especially liked the women, the variety of people across time and space, and how their lives unfold. Sometimes things just happen, and its somehow comforting to come across a book that shows this.

In a word: real


Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
I could only read this book in bits and pieces. This book doesn't have the satisfaction of giving you answers but there are lots of heavy things to think about. Gay takes media seriously, while I don't. But media does have an affect, especially on children's perceptions, especially in this day and age when kids spend a lot of time with books and movies. So it felt good to be made a bit more aware of where feminism is at. And yes, I am a feminist, especially after reading this book. I'll lump myself in and call myself a bad feminist. Or worse, an okay feminist.

In a word: woke


I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron
A book about the experiences of an old, rich Jewish playwright in New York. I couldn't relate, but it started off quite funny, and I somehow read the entire thing.

In a word: gross

No comments:

Post a Comment